The Catholic Task Force on Africa (CTFA), of which the Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns (MOGC) is a member, is working to raise the profile of Africa in the U.S. Catholic community by highlighting some of the initiatives already underway in response to the U.S. Catholic bishops’ 2001 pastoral letter, “A call to solidarity with Africa.”
Linking closely with the CTFA project, the MOGC will give special focus to Africa in these months prior to the synod as well, encouraging the entire Maryknoll world to pray and act in solidarity with the Church in Africa during 2009 through:
- a monthly prayer posted here and promoted throughout the Maryknoll world based on the theme of the synod, “Justice, peace and reconciliation”
- a weekly Africa update to make Africa more visible, with a focus on the countries where Maryknoll has experience, as well as important trans-regional issues such as ecology, poverty, violent conflict, HIV and AIDS, the impact of U.S. policy on justice, peace and reconciliation
- a weekly story of hope from Africa
- important documents relating to the themes of solidarity, social justice, peace and reconciliation
- a weekly Africa-focused action alert that will encourage prayer, study and action over the course of a month to increase attention to Africa on a regular basis
To sign up for the weekly emails, click here.